Just imagine the satisfaction you’ll feel when you take your home-made bowl of ice cream out of the freezer to serve to your family on Christmas Day!
It’s such an easy recipe, you can even just whip it together on hot weekends for the kids!
ALSO SEE: Cool down with these quick and easy home-made ice pops
- 1 can (385g) condensed milk
- 2 cups (500ml) high fat cream
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp (30ml) beetroot juice
Ingredients for the plums:
- 10 plums
- 1/4 cup (60ml) orange juice (can also be water)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) rosewater
- Pinch of salt
- Whip the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold through the condensed milk, vanilla extract and beetroot juice.
- Pour into a freezer-safe container and freeze for at least 4 hours or until frozen.
To make the plums:
- Cut them in half and remove the pips.
- Add the orange juice, sugar, rose water and salt, including the plums, to a shallow saucepan and leave to simmer over a medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Serve with dollops of your home-made ice-cream.
*Recipe by Caro Alberts
Our experienced editors work with trained journalists and qualified experts to compile accurate, insightful and helpful information about pregnancy, birth, early childhood development and parenting. Our content is reviewed regularly by our panel of advisors, which include medical doctors and healthcare professionals. Meet the Living & Loving Team and our Online Experts.